Wednesday, September 21, 2011

The Opposite of Love is Not Hate

“The opposite of love is not hate, it's indifference. The opposite of beauty is not ugliness, it's indifference. The opposite of faith is not heresy, it's indifference. And the opposite of life is not death, but indifference between life and death.” – Elie Wiesel

I resisted agreeing with this quote the first time I read it. On some level or another I have been indifferent and it’s hard to admit that I’ve been the opposite of love. My god talked about loving others a majority of the time he is quoted; it’s hard to face that I’ve been guilty of the opposite.

But the more I have opened up to this concept, the more it makes sense. Indifference is the lack of concern for the well-being of another; the refusal to help someone despite knowing that person needs help. It’s the failure to acknowledge life, yet alone hate it.

When I read this quote, I immediately thought of the reports of famine currently taking place in the Horn of Africa, the children in Kechene who are in desperate need of very basic needs and safety, and how I have reacted to the faces I have seen.

It’s not my goal to guilt you into doing something you don’t want to do. I don’t like doing things out of guilt either. But I hope this quote will enlighten a part of your life much the way it did mine, and help you take action when you see someone in need.

Did this quote affect you the way it affected me? Do you agree with it?

D.Shrock

2 comments:

Joy McLaughlin said...

I totally agree with this! It's one thing to be completely unaware, but I believe once God has brought something to our attention, we have a responsibility to do something, pray or act, according to His will for us. How can we not? I think about you girls and pray for you often. God bless you in the exciting times to come!!

D.Shrock said...

You make a great point, and I agree that there is a responsibility that comes with that knowledge and awareness. Thanks for sharing Joy!